The SAP Kernel is linked with a specific version of the database client software and built on a particular release of operating system compiler. Other terms
For some databases there is an updated / newer client version available from the database vendor. In some cases the current database client version runs out of vendor support in the near future. The same is also true for some of the operating system compiler versions.
In order for SAP customers to operate a fully supported environment an updated version of the 640 kernel (called the 640_EX2 kernel) is being released by SAP.
The 640_EX2 is the successor version of the 640 kernel. The applications running this kernel are themselves not impacted with the newer kernel version.
640, 640_EX2, EX2 Kernel, Maintenance Reason and Prerequisites
For SCM 4.0 and SCM 4.1, where SAP liveCache 7.5 is used, one of the following minimum releases of the SQLDBC runtime is precondition for the usage of SAP Kernel 640_EX2:
SQLDBC >= 7.6.03.17
SQLDBC >= 7.6.04.09
SQLDBC >= 7.6.05.05
For information on how to install the SQLDBC runtime and check its version, read the section "Requirements to the MaxDB client software (SQLDBC runtime)" of SAP Note 1066891.
Additionally a SAP DB database library patch >= 235 (lib_dbsl) is necessary. You will find this lib_dbsl patch under the SAP Kernel 640_EX2 (subfolder SAP DB) for your specific operating system on the SAP Service Marketplace:
- Customers may need to upgrade their operating system before they can implement the 640_EX2 kernel. To check if your operating system / database version is released with the 640_EX2 kernel please refer to the PAM (Product Availability Matrix) at https://service.sap.com/pam
- In some cases a database upgrade may also be necessary before the 640_EX2 kernel can be implemented. To check whether the 640_EX2 kernel is supported on a particular database release, refer to the PAM or the following SAP Notes.
- SAP Note 407317 (INFORMIX)
- SAP Note 407322 (DB2/UDB)
- SAP Note 407325 (DB2/390)
- SAP Note 407328 (MS SQL Server)
- SAP Note 410783 (DB2/400)
- Customers who are installing new SAP systems based on 640 kernel will NOT be able to install 640_EX2 kernel directly as part of the installation since the SAPINST (SAP Installation Tool) is not adapted accordingly. These customers will have to implement the 640_EX2 kernel as part of the post-installation steps.
- When implementing the 640_EX2 kernel, the kernels on ALL application servers of the affected system must be replaced.
- An update of the SAPGUI is not required after updating the system with the new 640_EX2 kernels. The existing / installed SAPGUI will also continue to work with 640_EX2 kernel.
- The 640_EX2 kernel is a "binary only" release. This means that customers can implement the newer kernel without the need for an SAP upgrade.
- After installing the 640_EX2 kernel customers must continue to import the support packages for the installed SAP release when updating / implementing corrections to the repository objects.
- After installing the 640_EX2 kernel customers must use only 640_EX2 patches when implementing corrections to the kernel.
- Customers who use the J2EE engine must also extract the SCS.SAR packet as part of the 640_EX2 kernel installation. This ensures the availability of the jcmon utility which is required during the upgrade procedure by the SAP upgrade tools.
Obtaining the 640_EX2 Kernel
Download the latest 640_EX2 kernel stack from the SAP Service Marketplace.
For Windows and Unix/Linux platforms, the 640_EX2 kernel stack consists of the database-independent SAPEXE.SAR and the database-dependent SAPEXEDB.SAR archives. For AS/400, there is only one archive, R3OPT.SAR.
Customers can also order the 640_EX2 kernel DVD by opening a customer message under component XX-SER-SWFL-SHIP.
The 640_EX2 Kernel DVD can also be downloaded from the SAP Service Marketplace from the following link:
(Installations and Upgrades->Entry by Application Group->Miscellaneous Components->SAP Kernel->SAP KERNEL 64-BIT)->SAP KERNEL 6.40_EX2 64-BIT->Installation)
Install the 6.40 kernel from the kernel DVD by carrying out the following actions as the user <sapsid>adm (or <SID>OFR on OS/400) on the central instance computer and then on all application servers with local executables.
- Stop the SAP System (there is no need to stop the database).
Stop the SAP<SID>_<system no.> and SAPOsCol services
. /saposcol -k
CALL PGM(SAPOSCOL) PARM('-k')
- Delete the statistics file
Mount the 640_EX2 kernel DVD.
Importing the new kernel from CD/DVD
A. On UNIX / Linux Platforms
As a prerequisite to use the EX2 kernel on an AIX system, the runtime environment has to have at least the following minimal release
- xlC.aix50.rte 18.104.22.168
- xlC.rte 22.214.171.124
- Switch to the /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run directory.
- Save the old kernel using the following commands:
cp -p * oldkernel
su - root
chown <sapsid>adm /usr/sap/<SAPSID> /SYS/exe/run/*
The oldkernel directory will be deleted during the next regular upgrade.
CAUTION: With the OS/390 operating system, you must use the "su <user>" command instead of "su - root", where <user> must have the UID 0.
- Unpack the new kernel using the following commands:
/<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_UI_<OS>/DBINDEP/SAPCAR -xvf /<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_UI_<OS>/DBINDEP/SAPEXE.SAR
/<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_UI_<OS>/DBINDEP/SAPCAR -xvf /<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_UI_<OS>/<DB>/SAPEXEDB.SAR
/<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_NI_<OS>/DBINDEP/SAPCAR -xvf /<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_NI_<OS>/DBINDEP/SAPEXE.SAR
/<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_NI_<OS>/DBINDEP/SAPCAR -xvf /<sapcd>/K_640_EX2_NI_<OS>/<DB>/SAPEXEDB.SAR
- In case igs is used the IGSINST_MT.SAR, located within the DBINDEP directory on the DVD should also be extracted to /usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>.
- Logon as user root and execute saproot.sh script located under /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run
B. On Windows:
- Before starting the installation of the 640_EX2 kernel the Microsoft C-Runtime libraries 8.0 need to be installed on the application server. For more details please refer to SAP Note 684106.
- On the global host, Switch to your kernel directory, for example: <drive>usr\<SAPSID>\sys\exe\run
- Unpack the new kernel from the kernel directory of the DVD in the specified sequence.
IMPORTANT: Do not call SAPCAR. EXE directly without a path specification, instead use the specified directory structure for the kernel DVD.
- <DVD-DRIVE>:K1\NT\<PROCESSOR TYPE>\SAPCAR.EXE -xvf <DVD-DRIVE>:K1\NT\<PROCESSOR TYPE>\SAPEXE.SAR
- <DVD-DRIVE>:K1\NT\<PROCESSOR TYPE>\SAPCAR.EXE -xvf <DVD-DRIVE>:K1\NT\<PROCESSOR TYPE>\SAPEXEDB.SAR <DVD-DRIVE>:K1\NT\<PROCESSOR TYPE>\DBATOOLS.SAR
- If you want to keep the old kernel executables, you must use the copy function and not the rename function (see SAP note 142100, point 18).
- This step is only valid for MSCS:
Update the files on all cluster nodes in the Windows\SAPCLUSTER directory with the corresponding files in the central kernel directory, for example in <dir>:/usr/sap/<SAPSID>/sys/exe/run.
- Install the DLLs retrieved as an attachment in Note 684106.
C. On OS/400:
- Before you can switch to the 640_EX2 kernel, you must have installed the 640 kernel according to SAP note 664679.
- Since the 640_EX2 kernel is delivered as a stack kernel, you must apply this kernel like any other 640 stack kernel as described in SAP note 904977
Database Specific Actions
For information specific to a database platform or for additional action / steps needed to be performed for a particular database please refer to the relevant SAP Note for your platform:
- SAP Note 1060539 (Oracle)
- SAP Note 1070927(INFORMIX)
- There are no additional actions necessary for MS SQL Server, DB2/400, DB2/LUW and DB2/390